Tuesday, May 15, 2012

The Great Adventure

Hard to believe that in a few hours I'll be boarding a plane to head back to Charleston.  Harder to believe that I've spent the last 11 months living in Europe.  At this time a year ago I was planning an adventure that I had no idea would end up changing my life.  I knew I'd see some sites, meet some people, eat some great food, etc., but never in my wildest imagination would I have anticipated all that actually lie ahead, and now as I begin to write something to explain just how blessed I've been along the way, tears are already streaming down my face. 

It all goes back to Dad, as you know, who encouraged me to follow my dreams.  It also helped that he financially supported my first few European trips with Carol Poole (who deserves all the credit for me getting the travel bug in the first place)!  Then, acknowledgement also goes to Mom, for her support before and after Dad passed, and the amazing love she's always shown.  That woman is the ultimate.  T'Lene and Edgar went above and beyond because, as they didn't necessarily want me to leave and surely didn't enjoy all the favors I asked of them while I was away, they loved and supported me through everything.  My amazing friends who missed me yet encouraged me, I couldn't name you all, but you are loved and appreciated.  There is also the faculty and staff at Stiles Point Elementary, who were ridiculously supportive before and during.  More thanks goes out to all of you that I met along the way, but I'll get to you shortly...

On June 26, 2011 I boarded a plane for Ireland, but en route, was called to work for a company in England, so I flew to Dublin, ran to some shops to buy necessary linens and household items, met a contact I'd only emailed a few times for a drink, slept one night in my new apartment (which I'd never seen before that day), caught a flight to England and taught for three weeks.  Wow, that seems like a LIFETIME ago. 

I flew back to Dublin and attempted to sort out my life, hoping to get a visa and therefore a job, and wishing I knew more than one person!  The magnificent Luke O'Mahony (who you'll remember I met years ago on an EF tour) didn't need me hounding him for advice in both the work and social scenes...I slowly adjusted to the Irish way of life.  I don't really even recall my first weeks in Dublin, but that's probably because I spent much of it travelling.  First I met two Carolina boys, Ryan and Jonathan, and headed down to Cork.  Then I spent a lot of time with Allan in Wales and Scotland.  I met Ryan and Jonathan again in Paris (along with Angela) for a weekend and my mom came to visit Dublin for a week. That was just through August! 

I think sometime after T'Lene's visit in September and my amazing birthday party with my sister, Jeremy, and all my new friends (Jamie, Tommy, Amy, Jim, Chelsea, Adam, and Josh), I realized there would be no visa and I needed to find some other sort of work.  That's when I put an ad on Gumtree (like Craig's List) and was interviewed to babysit for little Ari.  I started tutoring Andre.  It was near this time that Luke invited me to help at DCU also.  Finally things looked good for me...I would have some income.

I kept enjoying weekends with Allan and other friends, like when Beth and Greg came to visit in October.  I met more contacts and really felt good about myself, but I was constantly worried about the future because I wasn't making enough to offset the cost of living (and travelling) and I didn't want to go through savings so quickly.  I had just written and begun the publishing process for my books, but that wouldn't be enough to help me, at least not quickly enough. 

In November, Allan and I called an end to our relationship and I had to deal with the one year anniversary of Dad's passing.  I was miserable.  Luckily, I had support from Jamie (God knew what he was doing when he introduced us) and the opportunity to visit family of friends down in Brighton Beach, England.  Despite the horrid stomach bug we all contracted that weekend, it was a much needed escape and I am thankful to Bud and Eugenie for allowing me to come. 

In the beginning of December, I took an amazing trip to Tuscany with Jamie and Kit (who was living in Germany at the time) and enjoyed what I thought would be my last hurrah abroad.  I assumed when I went home for Christmas, I'd have to stay.  I was really disappointed and remember talking to T'Lene about how much I would let myself down if I didn't return to Europe...it was a goal to stay a year, and I needed to reach that goal.  I had to prove to myself I could do it. 

Many thoughts went through my head.  I had previously considered moving to Wales to be with Allan and to attend school, but that wouldn't work now.  I didn't want to come home, but I didn't see a way to stay in Ireland either.  Luckily, the Lord had a plan for me and I just didn't see it yet.  I had been praying about it and trying to trust Him, but I found it so difficult.  That was the hardest part.  How do you KNOW what the Lord wants you to do? I asked my pastor and mother for guidance and I'm sure a number of others got an ear full from me during this time.

Something finally came about.  Just before I went to Italy with the girls, I put a profile together on a website called AuPair World.  I was contacted by several families, but I began talking to one seriously and in early December, the decision was made for me to return to Italy.  Now we were talking...I had a chance to continue the adventure abroad!

The next few days flew and on my last weekend in Dublin, at a party with Luke, I met a lovely guy who whisked me off my feet.  He was beautiful, and I think that last weekend was a dream honestly...more like a movie than real life.  It was nothing but romantic: walks along the sea, staring into one another's eyes...goofy in a way because it didn't seem real.  I suppose it wasn't.  It was absolutely an amazing way to end the adventure in Dublin though and to give me hope about the future.  He even drove me to the airport and toted all my luggage for me, then bought me breakfast and waited for me to pass through security.  Thank you, dear Marcin, for being such a gentleman.

It was December 18th, 2011 when I arrived at the Charleston International Airport.  I was greeted by my dear sister, Ashley Henson, Amy Freeman and Dave (posters of my man).  It was such a surprise.  My sister's always so thoughtful.  I slept in my own bed that night and was delighted.  I visited with everyone I possibly could during the time I was home, but of course, it flew. In January, I packed all my things again and headed to Milan.

I had a terrible flight path from Charleston to Miami, Miami to London, and London to Milan Linate.  Luckily for me, the longest flight from Miami to London was a pleasant one.  I sat in the middle row with two empty seats between me and the passenger on my left, who fortunately was a nice young guy from England.  We chatted until I could no longer keep my eyes open, and exchanged contact info before we exited the plane.  My new friend Andy has ensured me he'll come visit in Charleston as he never made it to Milan to see me!

I remember getting off the plane at Linate and waiting hours for luggage that never came, then walking through the doors and meeting Daniele who drove me to the apartment to meet his family.  I came through the door and everyone greeted me so warmly.  It wasn't awkward in any way; I didn't feel like a stranger in the least bit. 

Although I felt comfortable, I questioned my purpose here because I had intended to be teaching English quite often, but at first, I seemed to be a chauffeur more than anything else.  As the weeks passed and I learned my responsibilities in the family, I tried to also build a social life.  I bonded with Connie (from home but living here) and Katy, met Gianluca, Micole, Alessandro, Charlie, Abby, Gianni and others, relied on dear old Luke again to put me in contact with an English school here, and attempted to make the most of my time.  In February, I went skiing with the family in Aprica and to Verona with Katy.  In March, I did more small side trips and went back to Dublin for St. Patrick's Day.  In April, I spent a week in Hungary (alone but loving every minute of it) and in May, Katy invited me to Morocco to enjoy a Groupon she had procured.  Life was uncomplicated, and oh so exciting!

During the time I was actually in Milan, I grew to love the family.  I think it was really in the last month that we truly came to enjoy each other's company...it was just in time too, as the days were passing and my departure was becoming a reality.  The children, Matteo and Elena, also known as "ME," were entertaining if nothing else!  They are bright, creative, funny, loving and playful.  I will miss them and I know my house in Charleston is going to be so quiet after living with the two of them.  I suggested I record their banter so I can play it when I'm lonely, or when I need a good laugh!

I learned a great deal about myself during this year away from my home, family, and friends.  I learned how to be humble for one...God's created a unbelievably stunning world for us to live in and I am honored and blessed to have had the opportunity to travel it, I'm also eager to see more!  I learned who my true friends are, and am overwhelmed at how many of you there are!  I learned that you can be happy with simple, simple things in life.  Please appreciate them all.  I learned how important it is to show the ones you love that you do care and that they are valued.  I know I am a better person for having taken this trip.  I thank God that He allowed me the chance to explore all that I did.  I thank God that He never doubted me, even when I doubted myself, and I thank Him for introducing me to some friends that will FOREVER be in my heart.  All my love to those of you who made my adventure abroad a memorable one.   My appreciation is not enough, my words won't aptly express my true gratitude, but I am honored to have you in my life and I am so grateful for the time we spent together.

So, it's not goodbye, I won't say farewell.  It's until next time, until whatever great adventure may be in store, but at this moment...I've got a plane to catch!!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you!! I believe this experience was more about learning than teaching! God has a way of surprising us. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on following through on your goals and dreams of a life abroad. I'm so glad our paths crossed, and who knows maybe they will again some day! Welcome home.

    ReplyDelete