Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Got Gullah?

That old creole language of Gullah just jumped back across the pond, so to speak.  Last week, I was chatting with a kindergarten teacher here in Dublin about a story she was teaching in class, The Little Red Hen.  She was telling me that she wanted to have the students hear different versions of the story, so she did an internet search and came up with an audio/visual story to share.  She did a rather funny impression and tried to tell me what "language" she had played.  She went on with "Guh, Guh," and I guessed correctly..."Gullah." 

Are you kidding me?  Of course in Charleston I've used Gullah to teach before; it's part of our history.  I think it's rather special to be able to share stories in Gullah, as well as traditions like sweet grass basket weaving with the students.  It amazed me, and made me pretty proud, to be able to share with someone over here (who actually found it on her own) about Gullah. 

In her search, my teacher friend found a website which explores Gullah culture in South Carolina. The Gullah.net website (http://www.knowitall.org/gullahnet/) offers music, stories, history, etc and is a great resource for teachers.  I'm now pleased to say it's not a regional thing, that teachers all over the world can use Gullah to enrich their lessons.  The Gullah version of The Little Red Hen was a big hit in Ireland last week; maybe others will soon give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment