Wednesday, June 27, 2012

It's Come to This...

It was exactly one year ago to the day that I flew to Dublin for the most amazing adventure of my life.  I was frazzled after spending the night in New Jersey (I gave up my seat on an overbooked flight), but I finally made it to Dublin early on the morning of June 28th.  I remember getting to the airport and realizing that I had no luggage (minus my carry on) but it didn't discourage me too much.  I was too excited to get to my new apartment, of which I'd only seen pictures.  The cab took me to 54 Leeson Street in Ranelagh and I waited to meet my letting agent.  I had just one day in Dublin as I was flying out the next morning to teach in England, but I accomplished so much that first day.  I ran to several shops to get linens and other necessary items for the apartment, met a friend of a friend for drinks that night, and in a rather intoxicated state, made it back to my studio for my first night as an expat.  It seems like forever ago. 

I can't recap everything that took place over the past year, but hopefully the blog will help me remember all the adventures I had during that time.  It's strange to me, but it's sort of a twiglight zone thing happening here recently.  I have spoken with other friends about it, friends who have lived away for extensive periods of time.  I know that you have reverse culture shock upon your return to home and I expected it, but I can't quite describe what exactly it is.  It's hard to believe that I was gone all that time.  It's hard to believe I actually lived in Dublin, and then in Milan.  I miss it so much and I find myself yearning to return (more so to Dublin). At the same time, I'm so unbelievably happy to be home.  I'm having a fantastic time catching up with friends and family and am constantly amazed by the simplicity of things here (it's much easier to accomplish tasks here) . 

I know I have changed in the past year and a half since Dad passed and I can tell you, despite that awful experience, everything since has by far surpassed any dreams I may have had.  I am a better person for the time I spent away and I'm thankful, more than you'll ever know, of the friends and family who supported me through it all.  I became a calmer, yet more adventurous person.  I learned to be more appreciative of what I have and at the same time, to go out seeking more of God's wonders.   I am now mindfully aware of the simple blessings bestowed upon us and I try to give credit where credit is due.  My personality has changed because, through all my travels, I discovered myself.  "It’s a curious thing that happens, it seems when we get to a place where no one knows us, we become most ourselves…trying new things, making new friends, laughing out loud, and dancing in the streets.”  Lucky for me, I had the opportunity to do all this and I thank God for making it happen.

So we're left with "It Comes to This..."  In certain cirsumstances, that can sound a bad thing, but I am happy to say that I'm not looking back sorrowfully to the loss of my Dad and I'm not living in the year I had abroad or woefully reminiscing about what happened and how I'm here now.  "One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us."  My future is bright...my life in Charleston is beginning again and it's exciting.  I've got lots planned (as usual) and will be quite busy working on several interesting projects.  I'm enthusiastic about trips I'm sure I'll take, but I'm also happy to be here in Charleston with loved ones and thankful that those dear friends I met abroad will be part of my life, in one way or another, in the future.  In "It Comes to This," "This" is life, and life is looking good!

No comments:

Post a Comment