Thursday, May 10, 2012

Schooled

As you know, I'm a teacher.  It's not a title I have because it happens to be my job; it's a title I feel I earned because of my passion.  There's not a bone in my body that doesn't have this mark.  Even during this year abroad when I've not had the "title," I've said I was a teacher because I am.  I teach every day, in one way or another. 

Living in Ireland was great, but unfortunately I didn't get to have a classroom there as I expected.  I did, thanks to my great friend Luke, get to participate in teaching at Dublin City University.  I also tutored in Ireland, as you probably know, so that made me happy. 

I came to Italy with the intention of teaching these kids English.  I ended up more of a chauffeur than anything else, but we did have our occasional English lessons.  I think more of what they learned from me was by my actions than by my lessons.  You know how they say that kids are always watching and they imitate their parents?  It's the same sort of thing here.  I think, whether they know it or not, they learned from me because of who I am.  I say please and thank you.  I acknowledge them each day.  I don't curse, I don't say shut up, I don't insult them.  I believe that I set a good example for them and that they have a little seed planted inside them now, that hopefully, will grow.  I will say I've noticed a lot more please and thank yous and how are yous in the past few months than when I first came.  Yesterday, separately, both kids asked me how my aunt was doing.  This was such a sweet thing because my aunt's been very sick with Cancer and in the hospital, so to hear them both, completely unknown to the other, ask this really touched my heart. 

I have learned too.  I have learned a lot actually.  I've learned that no family is perfect, even though I've always put mine on a pedestal.  I've learned that we all have skeletons in our closets.  I have an amazing family and we love each other dearly, but we were never really touchy feely love kind of people.  I don't recall lots of hugs and kisses.  I don't remember my parents holding hands except on a few occasions.  This may sound completely strange to some of you, but it's what I grew up with.  We say "I love you" often and we certainly showed it in other ways, but hugs weren't given out freely.  This family is very much the opposite.  Quite often the kids (even at 11 and 15) get kisses from their mom.  They lie on the sofa with legs intertwined.  They are playful in a way I don't recall being with my parents.  This is a beautiful thing and I hope I can take the good of their family and mine and one day implement a mixture of these qualities into my own family (God willing I have one).

In a completely different area of schooling I learned something else.  This goes back to the teacher in me.  I asked and asked if I'd be able to get into Matteo or Elena's schools for observations, lessons, or just to meet the teacher.  I was told repeatedly that it wasn't possible.  Wouldn't you know my persistence paid off though and I was able to get to Matteo's teacher a few weeks ago!  I met with her on a Friday and the following Monday I went to observe classes.  I then continued to observe/assist for the following three weeks.  I taught lessons in grammar and then finally was invited to do a special lesson of my choice.  I chose Gia's adventures in Charleston as a way to segue into a lesson on Charleston itself.  Many of the kids had been learning about holiday spots so I thought this was appropriate.  The lesson didn't go as I would have really liked, but I had to make do with what I had.  You see, the schools here in Milan are very different.  Ok, this school is very different, but I'm told they are typical for Italy.  I found it to be so strange...

On my first day, I arrived into this 6 story building and headed up to the teacher's lounge.  There sat all the "profs" as they are know to the kids.  No one goes by "Ms. Salters" for example.  Even the kids aren't addressed by their first names, it's always their surname that they are called.  The classes are separated by year, which I still don't fully understand.  For example, Matteo's in first year (which I would equate to 9th grade) but I think after that it gets a bit confusing.  The classes of kids stay in one room all day and the teachers rotate.  This means that the "profs" have to carry with them whatever they need for lessons, and from what I saw, it was never much.  There were no supplemental materials past worksheets and occasionally a stereo. 

As I entered the classrooms, I was amazed at how little I saw.  There were one, maybe two, posters on the walls and the rest was bare.  There was a white board and above it a small crucifix.  There was a platform (about 4 inches high) at the front of the room where a teacher's desk sat, and in it, the teacher remained throughout the lesson.  This blew my mind.  It's lecture at the most boring level.  There is no way I could sit in front of my class and speak to them in this way.  I have to be up and moving to keep my energy level high and to keep their attention.  How can you possibly monitor if you're not walking around?  You can't!  The few days I walked through the classes while the prof lectured, I found many kids off task and their assignments either not complete or not correct. 

Another thing that flabbergasted me was the use of "interrogations."  Yes, these poor kids are put on the spot quite literally where they go to the prof's desk (in front of the class) and are interviewed on a topic from class.  This means that the prof gets to know exactly what each student is thinking and understanding, BUT it means that the remainder of the students (20-29 depending on class size) have to sit and listen.  What a waste of class time?  How can you possibly think it's ok to allow 28 students to twiddle their thumbs for a hour?  I understand that they should be listening and perhaps even taking notes on what the interrogation is covering, but let's be realistic here, they aren't!  I have so many issues with this method, but obviously it's not my war to fight. 

It interests me that the teachers are given so much freedom in the schools here.  I showed them the standards I have to follow, which I do believe are a bit overkill, but at least we have guidelines.  The profs here choose what they want and teach how they want and thus there is no consistency.  Within Matteo's school I did see all three English profs using similar books and lessons, but I think it's because Matteo's prof is quite the leader and the other two seem to follow.  I appreciate this because it means they must plan together so they collaborate on some level. 

I have to get up on a soap box for a minute and then I promise I'll end this blog.  We may have low scores in South Carolina and we may not be known for our success in the classroom across our country, but we know what we are doing at Stiles Point.  Our teachers are well educated and well established.  We have teaching methods and best practice that would blow some schools out of the water.  We're lucky in Charleston County because we have many fine schools.  I'm sure I could investigate further and find teachers that "wow" me in Italy, but of the little I observed here, I was not impressed.  I can't imagine being a high schooler here and having to sit through hour after hour of lecture.  I never saw hands on, I never saw group work (unless I assigned it), and I never saw engaging...never.  I believe that education is supposed to ignite an interest in learning, not just from a textbook, but in every aspect of life.  These kids, in my opinion, could have cared less.  I am not perfect, I am not the best teacher in the world, and I don't know every method for engaging my learners, but I can tell you that my classroom is inviting and I feel pretty confident that my learners "get it."  That's more than I can say for what I saw here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment