Monday, February 6, 2012

"It's Ireland," Wait, Where Am I?

If you've read any of the posts from my time in Ireland you know that my neighbor and friend Josh had a way of describing all the strange things that happened there...he just reminded himself and all the rest of us simply that "It's Ireland." I think of this quote often and it's done me well to remember that traveling is about experiencing and I'm bound to come across things that I haven't experienced before...it's part of the fun so I should take it with a grain of salt.  I suppose Josh would have me saying "It's Italy" now that I've moved to Milan.

A few weeks ago I wrote that I was disappointed in the graffiti on all the walls here in the city because it made it look like a rather grungy place.  I'm so used to the old villages in Italy or the beautiful Italian countryside with vineyard after vineyard.  I know that coming to a new place is about experiencing all it has to offer though so I've come to accept the graffiti as part of the city and although it's not the most beautiful place, it's growing on me.  In a conversation with the family last night, Clara, the children's aunt, was asking me if I liked it here.  She put it very well when she said "it's got what you need."  There is fashion, food, fun, family for many, and work of course.  Those that live here (that I've spoken to) seem to like it and so I'm game for living here part time...of course I know I get to leave in a few months, but that's not what I'm focusing on.  I'm trying to take the "It's Italy" attitude and appreciate it more than anything else.  Instead of "It's Italy" as an excuse or explanation, I'm trying to think "It's Italy!" with an exclamation!

Last weekend it was freezing out, but I decided to brave the cold and go to the Navigli (canal) for the antique market that takes place on the last Sunday of each month.  This is something Italy does well...very well.  The market was fantastic and when it's slightly warmer, I can guarantee I'll be out for a longer period of time.  I had just enough warmth to get me to the end and back with a bit of browsing, but no lingering.  I could barely feel my toes when I returned home!

Another thing we know Italy does well is food.  The great thing about Italy is there are many types of restaurants you can choose from depending on your appetite, and often wallet.  Check out the list below from Rick Steve's Italian Phrase Book and Dictionary for a description of each:

risorante-a fine dining establishment
trattoria-typically a family-owned place that serves home-cooked meals
osteria-more informal, with large shared tables, good food and wine
pizzeria-casual pizza place that offers pasta and more
pizza rustica-a cheap pizza shop that sells pizza by the weight of the slice (usually take out)
rosticceria-a take out or sit down shop specializing in roasted meats
tavola calda-inexpensive hot/cold buffet-style
bar-the neighborhood hangout that serves coffee, soft drinks, beer, snacks, etc
enoteca-wine shop or wine bar that also serves snacks

I haven't eaten out too many times, but I've had great experiences so far.  I am looking forward to aperitivo this week with some friends (drinks and appetizers) and the big highlight is my plan for Valentine's Day.  I figured I might as well do something so I think Connie and I are going to try out ATMosfera.  It's an old tram that takes you on a tour around the city center and while doing so, serves a three course dinner!  What fun! 

I've got to share one more example of "It's Italy" before closing out this post.  Yesterday was Matteo's 15th birthday.  Let's pause for a moment and consider that that makes him half my age.  Ugh!  Ok, so for his special day we went to Acquaworld.  This was a first for me.  Yesterday it was about 30 degrees and there was snow on the ground from the previous day's weather, but we all bundled up on top of our bathing suits to head to this massive place for swimming and water slides.  Please understand that I haven't put on a bathing suit in 8 months and that was exactly the last time I saw sun so I was a bit self conscious of my white body compared to all the lovely hues of the Italian's skin, however, with the family I went inside to peel of the layers and headed straight to the slides.  I was surprised to see all the names in English rather than Italian...Blue Ice, Turbo, etc.  I went down a few times and then promptly headed to the adults only "Relax World" where it wasn't so relaxing, but I was able to go in the sauna a while as well as swim in the outdoor pool.  Snow was on the ground but it had the steam coming from off the water and it was actually a pretty cool experience.  It's not something I'd do back home, swim when it's soooo cold out, but hey, "It's Italy," what else was I supposed to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment