Thursday, March 8, 2012

Parenting 101

You might read that title and ask yourself "What is Hannah doing writing about parenting; she doesn't have any children."  You are absolutely right too.  I've got no kids, but I have helped, in some small way, to raise quite a few. 

I began babysitting when I was ten, and yes, that means I've got 20 years of experience in the "field."  I went to school to become an educator and thus taught, raising my experience level even more, for another 7 years.  I've done diaper duty to prom preparation and everything in between.  I've kept kids who have already graduated college for goodness sake...and are quite likely to marry and have kids before me!!  In this time, I've not been a parent, but I've certainly had some of the responsibilities of one and I think it's been fantastic preparation for what will one day, hopefully, be the chance to put all that I've learned into practice with my own darling children. 

Last week, I wrote on my personal Facebook page and Gia's page about kids' chores.  I was curious if kids in Italy were required to do less than kids in the states and if that's a cultural thing or not.  I had a friend comment on all the tasks her four year old daughter (in SC) does to help build responsibility.  I didn't get paid for chores growing up, but there were certain things around the house that I was required to do, and I don't think I complained too much about it (I'll check with Mom on this).  I believe it is important to teach kids to be responsible from an early age because it carries over into adulthood. 

Here is a list of some of the things the children here in Italy, in this family, DON'T do. 

Girl (11)                           Boy (15)
Put away pjs                     Put away pjs (he actually leaves them on the sofa each morning)
                                         Put away dishes (leaves them unless I ask)
                                         Flush the toilet...quite often, he "forgets"
Make bed                         Make bed
Put away wet towels         Put away wet towels
                                         Put lid on toothpaste when finished

To my knowledge, there are no "requirements" in this household of things the children must do.  They will, with reluctance, do things if asked. 

Along with the lack of responsibility, the children, in my humble opinion, are learning no respect for elders.  At first, I thought it was a "lost in translation thing," but I'm becoming more and more familiar with their tone with their parents and I can see it's not about the language.  For example, the 15 year old has all to often addressed me in a tone which quite frankly, wouldn't fly at home.  "Hannah, you need to cook the pasta more."  "Hannah, buy the pesto from Essalunga."  Now, I let it slide a few times, but after a while, I politely reminded the child that there is a right way and a wrong way to ask for something.  He will not tell me what to do.  If he'd like something, he can simply put it in the form of a question and add a please!  "Hannah, would you please buy the pesto from..." will go a lot farther than the latter. 

Two weeks ago, on the mother's birthday, we all went to the mountains together.  The mother came downstairs in tears because she was upset with her daughter and she didn't know what to do.  The child was so difficult.  It was hard for me because I was there when the daughter pitched a fit about her ski bib not fitting and refused to ski with her mother.  We (the mom, son and I) went on without the daughter but it was a miserable day as "Mom" was upset from it all. 

Last night, the 15 year old came home from a tennis tournament which required him to miss school on Wednesday.  He and his mother got into a screaming match for over an hour about how he didn't want to go to school on Thursday.  I thought the mother would win when I heard her telling him, in Italian "be more responsible."  To my great disappointment, he's home today.  Yes, he woke up at a nice 9 am and went straight to the TV.  Again, this wouldn't fly.  I asked him why he was home, he told me it was because he didn't have an assignment that was due today, and he went back to watching TV.  AGH!

I do realize that I've only been here two months and I don't know the entire situation since I can't understand all of the language, but I do know from observation that something is off in this household.  I can't come right out and say the family is doing things wrong because there is a lot they do well.  When they are all happy, it's a pleasant place to be.  They get along great and crack jokes.   The children say their please and thank yous (to me) and are polite the majority of the time.  When they are arguing though, it's a different story. 

I try not to look at parents and judge because you never know what another person is thinking or doing, but living in Italy has given me a true behind the scenes look at the way this family ticks. It's also made me really grateful for the amazing parents I had growing up, and instilled in me values I hope to pass along to my own kids one day.

4 comments:

  1. Reflection: This morning I wrote that the children were polite and respectful at times. I wrote that it was pleasant to be around the family when they were all getting along. I have to say, thankfully, tonight was one of those nice moments.

    I spoke to the 15 year old earlier about why he was home and he told me it was because he didn't have an assignment for school so he didn't want a bad grade. Had it been my child, I'd have sent him anyway. He chose to play tennis, he knew he'd miss school and so he should have been responsible and gotten the work ahead of time. I again reminded him of this tonight when we sat down to dinner. I was letting his mother know I supported her decision to punish the boy by taking away TV and Itouch for one month. Restriction! I could have sung praises to the Lord right then because I finally saw a bit of actual parenting taking place.

    We had the nicest night as today was international women's day so the mother made the son clear the table (an actual chore he was not happy to be assigned, but completed anyway). Then we all sat down to play cards (no TV for anyone tonight). I am pleased to say that the mother has redeemed herself in my eyes. I know it's hard for her as she plays single mom when the dad is away at work all week, but she does have a hint of disciplinarian in her and I'm just thrilled to pieces to find this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This all has a very familiar ring to it...my brother's step-daughter is 15 and though sweet and respectful towards adults, she is definitely spoiled and Queen Bee of the household. She does not maker her own bed, clean her own room, help with any household chores, does not babysit, nor even care for her puppy that she HAD to have for Christmas. Her mother coddles her and does everything for her, including cleaning up the puppy messes. I had to bite my tongue when I was there a few weeks ago and heard my sister-in-law say (no lie!),"Poor Rachel, I felt so bad that I had to ask her to carry in the large box of laundry soap when I got home from grocery shopping. Joe (my brother) is recuperating from his hernia surgery and I'm in so much pain from this pregnancy (45-years old, high blood pressure, very overweight, and very bad back which needs surgery), that neither of us could carry it. I felt so bad for her." REALLY?? Of course, I couldn't hold back as I asked, "You mean she doesn't normally help carry in groceries or put them away?" Janet just smiled and shook her head no. By 15, I was doing laundry, dishes, helping with cooking, yardwork, cleaning my room, doing other household chores, babysitting, and working in our family's restaurant! Did it kill me or hurt me? Not one bit....just taught me responsibilty and maturity. I still had time for fun too, but chores came first.
    Problem is in this case, is Rachel's dad offers her much more in monetary, material posessions and she goes to his house every other weekend, where she is treated like a princess there too. Mom is afraid Rachel will choose to go live with her dad, which Rachel dangles over her mom's head. I
    I certainly hope Miss Rachel marries a millionaire who will see to her every need and with whom she'll never have to lift a finger. LOL Sounds like the children you nanny are about the same.

    Ok, got THAT off my chest! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your post Candice! I think that as sweet as the children can be at times, they're being done a great injustice to NOT be taught responsibility and respect. The neice of yours will one day come to a hard realization if she doesn't marry that millionare to look after her! I read something on Pinterest yesterday that I thought fit well with this. It said, "Do not handicap your children by making their lives too easy." I thought that was fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! Should I send that anonymously in a card?? LOL

    ReplyDelete